The Oporto Niblicks started in 1890 by a group of British players involved in the business of Port Wine who created a makeshift Links of nine holes. The original course was called St. Skeff Links in honor of its first President and it was mainly made up of sand, some native grass and greens, with Par 43.
In 1900 a new "Links" with 9 holes was designed and it was built a little further south of the original course. In the same year the first "Club House" was built and the name changed to Oporto Golf Club. In 1934 the full 18-hole Course with characteristics of Links and par 73 was inaugurated. Since then the conditions of the Golf Course in Greens, Fairways and Roughs have been improving, keeping the characteristics of a Links. The Course Par is 71.
Although the Skeffington Cup was founded in 1890 in Oporto Golf Club by British residents from the region of Douro, it was only played for the first time one year later. Was named after the club first president Charles Neville Skeffington.
It became the oldest cup in the world (uninterruptedly played) after golf clubs in the UK closed on the first and second World War and interrupted their cups.